Skip to main content

Behind The Scenes: Designing a Crochet Pattern



When I decided that I wanted to publish my first pattern, I didn't realize the rush of obstacles that would hit me. What seemed like a straight and clear road ended up being a road full of stumbling blocks that I didn't know if I could make it past.
I felt alone...

I read countless blogs, watched many tutorials and pulled out many hairs while trying to make sense of the steps I had to take to actually publish the pattern. Before I had decided to get the pattern tested I was excited and ready to publish it on Ravelry. I clicked on the contributions (after watching videos on how to publish a pattern on Ravelry) I filled out all the information and clicked “Preview and Publish” but when I saw that there was no file that stated “upload PDF file” I become frustrated starting over, again and again, trying to see what I was doing wrong because I couldn't link the PDF pattern to the site.

It became a goal of mine “I have to get this published before I go on vacation,” I said to myself as I searched up more videos and read more blogs on the Internet. For a few people (because I know there are many people who can sympathize with me) this is the time when you call your friend up or post in that group to ask for help because you know you have a community that is willing and waiting to help you. You would have figured it out after a few more obstacles but because you knew people who had gone through it before you, you took a detour. I didn't have that.

Although I didn't cry, I was disappointed because my pride wanted everything to be perfect but nothing was going my way except the fact that I was actually doing it and not just talking about it. You may be wondering "Okay what is she getting at?" "How and Why is this relevant to me?"

I want to look back 10 years from now and read these blogs, I want to relive and remember what it was like becoming a crochet designer. The reason it's public and not in a diary is that I believe one day someone might search "How to become a crochet/ knitwear designer and they'll find an arsenal of entries that they can read and see what it's really like (in my perspective). This is not made so that they can decide not to do it but so that they can say "If she did it, then I can too!!".

I'm not the best writer, I have never been good at grammar but I do like writing (how ironic) more than writing I like sharing stories, talking to people and learning more about the world around me. So I give myself permission to not be perfect, to make mistakes, to be an open book my blog will more than likely be different than anything you've ever read but I hope through reading these entries you'll learn, grow, and then share like I did.

Follow me on

Comments