Skip to main content

My First Hand-Knit Sweater




2/3/2020 1:00pm
While trying to figure out what to write, I looked over to my left and saw the sweater I've been working on for the past 3 days just sitting there beside me on my laptop. So instead of worrying myself on what to write about. I thought I would write in a diary-like format about the process of me making my first hand knit sweater.

2/4/2020 4:54pm
The sweater I'm making is by Drops Design called "White Rose". It's a top-down raglan. It has pretty eyelet and cable detail on the sleeves and the yarn I used was Loops and Thread Wellness Baby in the color-way Coral (the yarn line Wellness Baby is currently discontinued) it's a sport weight yarn and I had 2 skeins that I bought for Christmas on sale at Michaels for $3.97 apiece when the original price was $10.
I didn't have size 3mm or 3.25mm circular knitting needles so I used a size 3.50mm the gauge was supposed to be 24sts and 32rows = 4/10cm but I got 28sts/32rows = 4/10cm. So I decided to knit the size Medium which is a 36 1/4 (100cm) bust for this specific pattern. Heres a link to my Ravelry page for this project so you can see all of my notes just in case you decide to knit this pattern (White Rose Knit Sweater).


I knew since the beginning that I wanted to make the sweater a turtle neck so I knit 4"/10cm of a k1, p1 rib and then proceeded to start on the yoke. I was very excited since this was my first sweater so I finished the neck portion in a day.

2/5/2020 12:13am
Since this was my first time knitting a top-down raglan sweater the instructions were so bizarre to me, I honestly read over them more than 15 times just to make sure that I was following them correctly but I still ended up making plenty of mistakes.

I would forget to decrease or increase on the eyelets, I would drop stitches and have to tink a whole entire row. I would forget if I was doing a front or back cable, I was a mess.

2/6/2020 3:40pm
Okay, update, I'm so excited because I finally finished the yoke and now I can start to divide for the sleeves. I can't believe this sweater is going to be done soon.

2/6/2020 11:18pm
I am so sad, so I was divided for the sleeves when something seemed off so I checked back with the pattern and saw that I was supposed to have 348sts but when I was dividing for the sleeves it seemed like I was using the stitches that were supposed to be for the back and front. So I counted and realized I only had 252sts which was 96sts less then what I needed. I was confused at where I missed all those increases so I keep reading over the pattern and then I realized where I went wrong.

I had misunderstood what the instructions meant by increase 8sts every other row for 24 rows. I thought that meant increase 1 round then knit 1 round without an increase. But no, it meant literally increase 1 round, knit 1 round plain but do it 24 times so that you've increased 24 times, not 12. So I ripped back to the beginning of the yoke and now I'm starting it all over again. I am very sad because I was so pumped about finishing so much of the sweater in just a few days but I was quickly humbled. It's like no matter how much you think you know, you'll never know enough.



2/16/2020 7:30pm


I finally did the sleeves I tried to see how it fit but because my cable needle wasn't big enough I accidentally pulled out some stitches so I had to go back and fix that. Also, the ending I did was so tight so once I finish the body I'll go back and redo the sleeve edging which is just a simple 2x2 rib for half an inch.

2/18/2020 5:49pm

I decided to make the sweater cropped because I want to be able to wear it in the spring and plus I'm tired of knitting the body lol. I was thinking that it would look cute over a nice flowy dress or a maxi skirt. I'm at 6 inches right now so I'll keep going until I think it's enough I can't try it on so I won't know until it's completely done.


2/19/20 4:13pm

I finally finished the sweater. I am so excited because I was the type of person who would make up my own designs and I've always wanted to knit a sweater but I was so scared of the unknown. Even now I get scared sometimes but I know that I just have to take that first step and everything will be okay. To anyone out there who is nervous about trying something new just take the first step and you'll be on your way to achieving all types of goals that you would have never thought you could achieve.



Follow me on



Comments