Skip to main content

Behind The Name: Road Runner

I struggled to figure out a name for this hat pattern, wanting it to be good and catchy but not so unique that no one could pronounce it. I starred at the hat for about 20 minutes trying to see if a name would magically appear by looking at it. Then I began thinking about the journey and process it took to make (Now this is before I had even got the pattern tested see Behind the Scenes: Designing a Crochet Pattern) I began to think about how after I had gotten a good grasp of knitting and crocheting as a beginner, I would never follow the rules, I would use different yarns, different colors, different needles and hooks. Not that it always turned out right but it was that innate desire to go beyond what I saw, to think outside the box and create straight from my imagination using the patterns as a foundation. Keep in mind during this time all my creations were for personal use only I did not sell anything based off of others designs I believe in copyright for pattern designers.

Realizing that the road to becoming a designer is a long one, the impatience side of me kicks in sometimes and wants to run, to get it over with, to get past the point where I'm a newbie and to the point where I've established myself a little better. HA I laughed as I told myself "You're always going to want to be passed a certain point, it'll never be enough, so you should enjoy this time, this process, it'll fly by sooner than you think." The name Road Runner came from the textures in the hat and the cartoon Road Runner from Looney Tunes. I loved that cartoon growing up it was funny to me how no matter how many times, the coyote tried to catch and eat the road runner he could never do it.
Will you be the Road Runner or Coyote?
There was so much symbolism in that, that I took to the lovely Internet to see what Road Runner meant and what I read was really fascinating.

The Meaning Behind Road Runner:

Road Runner symbolism is reminding you that you must take quick action on your ideas.

See everything through to its finish. 

Things may seem a bit overwhelming; however, if you take it in smaller steps, and take these steps regularly, you will accomplish the desired result.

Road Runner meaning reminds you that you can deal with unpleasant situations.

Get yourself motivated-make a list, prioritize, break it down into smaller steps and get those projects done! Be sure to cross them off and keep it simple.

Be aware that there are unseen obstacles ahead, and you must use your intuition and quick wits to overcome them. 


When this bird is flying in your dream, then the roadrunner meaning is prompting you to go ahead and do it. You may feel a bit out of your depth, and it will feel awkward at first, but the only way to get better at anything is to practice and keep trying.

Take all of this and apply it to your specific situation.

What This Means To "Me"

I have been wanting to design patterns for a while now, what stopped me from doing it was my own form of Procrastination + Perfectionism that = no results. When 2019 started, I wrote down a list of goals which looked something like:

  1. Finish crochet sweater Feb.
  2. Make 52 hats.
  3. Write a pattern.
  4. Finish a blanket.
  5. 1k IG followers.
  6. Finish knit shawl.
  7. Finish knit socks. 

These are a few of many goals I wrote down. I wanted to challenge myself to get some big things done in 2019. I set out and looked up blogs and YouTube videos about publishing a pattern or becoming a pattern designer. After reading about what I had to do I set out and did it. I was honestly surprised at how fast the hurtles came, and I was hit with obstacles. My perfectionism kicked in and I wanted to quit because I didn't have everything I needed (or wanted). Something then told me "Just Do It." I went to some people that I trust and asked them for advice, and I received the wisdom and encouragement that I could do it.

Proverbs 15:22 (ERV) If you don’t ask for advice, your plans will fail. With many advisors, they will succeed.

Not only does this pattern mean a lot to me being that it is my first time publishing a pattern but also the name means a lot to me. This milestone is one that I will never forget (as it is my first😂) If you crochet or are interested in learning I hope that you would try this pattern and while crocheting it remember your own life, your own journey and continue to try, continue to grow and share with others.


Follow me on



Comments